Sunday, January 12, 2014

Stop Moaning and Start Grooving !

In 2000, I moved to Canada with dreams that were shattered by the reality of life here. My career was being gnawed at even before it started. With so many scruples with life and career, I was ready to packs my bags and do a U-Turn and move to Dubai or Mumbai (if any of them would have me). My wife Suzanne, was patient through these times and provided any motivation to carry on. She even bought a frying pan to hit me on the head should this have gone too far..just kidding..she did buy a frying pan for real ! Then one fateful evening, while sipping a caramel mocha latte at Starbucks at Chapters (now Indigo), Suzanne introduced me to an author I never heard before. His name, Anthony Robbins and the book was "Awaken the Giant Within". From then, it was no stopping me.
 
A long story made short, I have summarised what works for me and in no means is a teaching aid.
 
1. Surround myself with positive company - "Seek and you shall find" I followed this mantra and have a found positive people. They are encouraging always pushing to you do your best. I avoid fruitless conversations like the local gossip, though I must admit sometimes the latter is tempting, but fruitless nonetheless. I too can be a victim of the "misery loves company" jamboree, but tend to move away fast. Now I make a joke of when people ask me how my life is..I just say "miserable". I keep the jealous ones happy and the ones who really do not care happy too.

2. Got my spouse involved - In this case, help is never too far. She is here when I need her support to stay on track. It's with Suzanne's help and confidence that I continue to make/measure my strides.

3. Stay Educated - Books, yes Books ! There is not a question in the world that has not been a addressed in a book. I cheat a bit, by listening to audio books. Time is precious when you have a kid(s), so audio books are a fast track in my craving for knowledge. Do not forget religious texts. There are a plethora of messages and guidance for staying positive. The Holy Bible for me is fantastic source. In addition, I listen to the teachings of Buddhism and lessons from Osho Rajneesh. Great authors, to me, include, Anthony Robbins, Robin Sharma, Sir Richard Branson, Stephen Covey, to name a few. Quotes from the greats like Sir Winston Churchill, Mahatma Gandhi, etc. are inspiring as well. The Internet is also a great source for positive learning. Google has been a trusted guide in this day and age of browsing.

4. NO MORE TOXICON - "Toxicon: is a term I use to denote those individuals that will do their best to ensure that one gets hurt with toxic and destructive remarks. They thrive on emotional blackmail and do all of this with a smile. The "Oh, I never meant to hurt you" comment follows, amongst other things. Trust me, this breed stands out in conversation.  When I come in contact with them, to coin a phrase, I "sleep with one eye open". Something just clicked (An even better idea) - Get them off your Facebook page...LOL !!! .

5. Do not get turned off - "You have changed and are not the person you used to be"- How many times have I heard this one. Yes, I have changed, (over 40 ahem!)  accept it and move on.

6. What will they think ? - I used to worry about this a lot, until recently. Then I questioned, Do they worry about me?...Probably not.  So never mind what people think, you cannot stop them. I do what is best for me. Selfish as it seems, for when I am happy, everybody around me will be happy.

7. Help a person in need - Never let the right hand know what the left hand does. Nough said !

8. TIME OUT - A solitary vacation or even a fishing trip is always on the cards. It helps recharge the batteries. It is also a time to connect spiritually with the Supreme being. You ask questions and you get the answers you are looking for. Works every time. Even time out with your family, just doing nothing..aahhh the life !

8. Keep "Chugging" along-  Yes, no matter what the odds and failures, I look to find a positive spin on or how I can benefit from the failed situation or even what lesson the failure has given me. Staying positive is HARD work, but the journey is fantastic.

I am no self-help guru, but do what is needed of me to benefit my wife, son and my loved ones. I invite you on this journey.

P.S - If you have any tips on staying positive, please share them with me. Any advice is encouraging.

2 comments:

  1. It is human nature to dwell on the negative in our lives. It takes more concentration to focus on the negative and because of that it tends to take control very easily.

    If you must dwell on a bad thought turn it into a mission to find out why its bad and discover a way to make it right and even if you cannot make it right, remember how you solved it so it does not happen again. You will have accomplished two things by doing this. One you beat back the negative and two you learned how to solve a problem that you must have had.

    Here is a great young author that is full of wisdom http://www.entrepreneur.com/author/nadia-goodman.

    Thanks for sharing Rohan, you are a great person...;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Kev....I am looking at your link now..ok after l finish typing this. :-)... And you are a great friend to have.

    ReplyDelete